Whenever you are left with a stained fence, a cleaner seems like a lifesaver at that time. Now, it could be difficult to find the perfect option for the particular type of wood fence you have. Also, you need to keep in mind the type of stain you are dealing with to choose the appropriate cleaner for the job.
We’ve come with this review article, where we will talk about some top products upon doing some research. See if you can find the best wood fence cleaner on our list of fence cleaners.
What To Look For In A Wood Fence Cleaner (Buying Guide)
If you make sure that the product will do a good job when it comes to the following aspects, you should be cool.
The best cleaner should remove stain from several surfaces. Yes, it might not be too brilliant with a few of them, but it should work on different types of fences. We’ve reviewed products that will clean the most common types of surfaces out there.
2. Time Consumption
When you are applying a stain remover, it only makes sense that you would want it to work fast. And that’s something not all cleaner can offer you. So, you should be careful in this regard when you are choosing your product.
Also, you need to keep your expectations in check when you are dealing with stubborn stains.
It would be fantastic to find an option that won’t require any scrubbing. Though the manufacturers always claim that their products come with this advantage, sometimes it turns out to be far from the truth. So, you might want to settle for a formula that will need minimal scrubbing.
4. Chemical Balance
The chemical balance of your wood fence cleaner plays a huge role. If you get a rough (High pH) one for example, it will most likely harm the wood’s material alongside cleaning it. Albeit the damage might not be that ferocious, it could still lead to long-term problems such as rusty patches or discoloration. Therefore, we recommend you to buy cleaners that have a mild impact while cleaning your wood fence.
Editor’s Picks: Top 3 Wood Fence Cleaner
5 Best Wood Fence Cleaner Reviews
Here are some products we found to be up for most of the tasks. Do they have drawbacks? Yes, they do. But, they should serve the purpose right.
1. Star Brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF
Check out the best wood cleaner for fence cleaning that will work on vinyl, fiberglass, metal, plastic, and painted surfaces with efficiency. And what’s awesome is that you don’t need to scrub the surface, thanks to the chelating agent introduced in it.
This USA-made product won’t harm the polish in non-textured areas. Moreover, the cleaner not only cleans a surface but also makes sure that there’s no stain on it soon. Yes, it comes with this incredible polymer that provides such amazing protection.
However, a user has struggled to notice the coating. And some might also need to scrub the surface a little if the chelating agent isn’t so effective.
- A very effective, all-surface cleaner for fiberglass, vinyl, plastic, rubber, metal and painted surfaces
- Special chelating agents lift dirt and spills without the need for heavy scrubbing
- Minimal need for scrubbing the surface, thanks to the chelating agent
- Polymer protection coating prevents any staining
- Made in the USA and useful on a lot of surfaces
- The coating might be unnoticeable for some
2. Home Armor FG503 E-Z House Wash, 1-Gallon (2-Pack)
The next product on our list is a 2-pack house wash. You will find this unit to be effective against algae, mold, and mildew. And what’s excellent is that you won’t need to scrub the surface much. For, the formula comes with the needed strength to see the job done.
You can use a tank sprayer or sponge to apply the formula in any area. It should work well on dirt and heavy soil. Moreover, it comes with versatility to offer. You should be pleased with its efficiency on concrete, aluminum, vinyl, and various other types of surfaces.
Now, a customer has said that the formula isn’t so effective against a few stubborn stains. If you can get past that, then this might be the best wooden fence cleaner, as well.
- Effective against algae, mold, mildew, dirt, etc.
- Easy to use with a tank sprayer or sponge
- Efficient with a lot of surfaces
- Might struggle to remove stubborn stains
3. DEFY 2.25 LBs Wood Cleaner
This product we are reviewing will open the pores you see on a wood surface. Therefore, it won’t only clean; it will help the wood in absorbing the stain. Also, you may find it very effective against UV rays. It will eliminate the grayish discoloration on the surface.
Another worth mentioning thing about it is the mill scale removing capacity it comes with. Thus, it enhances stain absorption quite impressively. What’s also great is that the plants and grass will be safe from it, thanks to the oxygenation process it goes through.
Now, the product has some issues. One user didn’t find it useful on the wood siding, while another one was disappointed with its efficiency on cedar fencing. Also, the sprayer clogged up for one buyer.
- CLEANS & OPENS PORES OF WOOD SURFACES BEFORE STAINING – This safe, oxygenated bleach deep cleans wood surfaces and opens the pores for maximum stain absorption.
- REMOVES GRAYING FROM WEATHERED WOOD – This powerful wood deck cleaner not only cleans the wood, but will remove weathered graying color caused by UV rays.
- Safe for plants and grass
- Effective against UV rays for removing grayish colors
- By removing mill scale and opening pore, enhances the stain absorption
- The efficiency is questionable on wood siding and cedar fencing
- Clogging up of the sprayer in one case
4. Wet and Forget 10587 1 Gallon Moss, Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
Here’s a stain remover for you if you are looking for a bleach-free product. You will find this formula to be non-acidic, as well. I would suggest that you use this cleaner for outdoor projects. Moreover, the manufacturers claim that the cleaner doesn’t need any rinsing or scrubbing.
The product will be useful in a lot of tasks. It will work on painted surfaces, concrete, and many other areas. Now, as for drawbacks, it might not be the most efficient formula for roof streaks. Also, the product works slowly on black stains. And few users aren’t happy with the formula altogether.
- Non-caustic, Non-acidic, Contains no bleach
- Safe on any outdoor surface
- The bleach-free formula is non-acidic
- Scrubbing isn’t required with it
- Will go with a lot of surfaces
- Not the best formula for roof streaks
- Slow in removing black stains
5. #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain for Decks, Fences, Siding – 1 Gallon (Cedar)
If you are worried about the UV rays damaging your woods, then check this product we are reviewing. It will not only serve the purpose of a wood stain but will also seal the deck for you. Now, the best thing about this product is that it comes with multiple finishes to make the woods look gorgeous.
Another good thing is that it offers easy cleaning up of the mess. Now, on what type of wood will it work the best?
I think it’s the softwood like cedar or redwood, with which this formula will be brilliant. However, this formula won’t work on new wood. And its water resistance isn’t up to the mark.
- PROTECTS AGAINST COLOR FADE AND PREVENTS GRAYING - #1 Deck Protects Wood From Damage Caused By Exposure to the Elements. Can Be Used On Pressure Treated Pine, Cedar, Fir, Redwood, or Most Other Softwoods. Hardwoods Will Require More Frequent Maintenance Coats.
- BOTH A DECK STAIN & DECK SEALANT IN ONE - #1 Deck Stain Is a Dual-Purpose Stain & Sealer. It Adds Color to Your Wood and Seals it, Preventing Damage Caused by Water Penetration.
- Protection against UV rays
- Very beautiful finishes
- Great with softwoods like redwood and cedar
- Not much water resistant
- Might struggle with new wood
How To Clean A Wood Fence
When it comes to fencing, one simply can’t beat the classic wood technology. Not only is it pleasing to the eye but is also known to be the most durable. Despite that, every wood fence owner must regularly clean their fences. If ignored, it might lead to permanent damage.
For people living in an area where it’s usually dripping, your fences are likely to get algae and mold collection and eventually all the wood shall rot. On the other hand, fences that are applied in dry conditions are consistently under the pressure of UV rays and dust. Thank to that, your fence loses its charm on a frequent basis. There are 2 major ways of cleaning your wood fences. Let us discuss both of them.
1. Pressure Water Wood Fence Cleaning
Pressure water wood fence cleaning is the most efficient way of rejuvenating the health of your fences. It requires minimal effort yet reaches out to each corner. To perform it, you must buy or rent a good quality pressure washer. Once you get hold of that, you can follow these steps:
- Step 1: Spray water all over the fences using a low setting (pressure) on your washer. Make sure that you are at a distance of 2.5-4 feet while doing this step.
- Step 2: Attach the siphon tube to your wood fence cleaner bottle (This instruction varies according to cleaner brand) and start spraying from top to bottom in even strokes.
- Step 3: Let the cleaner sit for 3-4 minutes so that it absorbs/dissolves all the dirt but make sure you don’t let it dry.
- Step 4: Spray water again all over your fences rinsing off all the detergent that you previously applied. Make sure that you do not miss out any areas.
2. Manual Wood Fence Cleaning
Despite how easy they make wood fence cleaning, not everyone can afford a pressure washer. If you fall under the same category, you can opt for manual wood fence cleaning. Now, although it is a little hectic comparatively, it gets the job done. To perform it, simply follow these steps:
- Step 1: Pour about 50-70 ml (Amount varies according to cleaner brand) of wood fence cleaning solution into a bucket and mix it with 2 gallons of water.
- Step 2: Dip a sponge or a scrubbing brush into the bucket and brush the solution evenly throughout your fencing.
- Step 3: Let the cleaner sit for 3-4 minutes so that it absorbs/dissolves all the dirt but make sure you don’t let it dry.
- Step 4: Use a garden hose to rinse off all the detergent that you previously applied.
Note (Applies to both cleaning methods): If your wood fences aren’t completely cleaned in your first attempt, don’t worry. Simply repeat all the steps above until they finally are.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here we have some of the most commonly asked queries regarding wood fence cleaners:
1. How do I get green moss off my wood fence?
You can use vinegar, ½ cup of it, and mix it with one gallon of water. After applying this solution, you wait for 15 minutes. Then scrub the moss off and rinse it. Also, you can use baking soda for the purpose.
2. How do I get algae off my wood fence?
Using a stain remover should do the job. And there’s always the old-school way of getting rid of the algae using bleach. Make a solution of chlorine bleach and water with a ratio of 1:2. Then scrub the algae off after applying the solution.
3. Do you have to clean a fence before staining it?
When the dirt particles are firmly attached to your fence, then you might want to clean it beforehand. But, if they aren’t engrained in your fence, you won’t need to pressure wash it.
4. How do you clean a wooden fence with bleach?
Prepare a solution of chlorine bleach and water, having a ratio of 1:2. Use a garden sprayer to spray the solution on the wood. Also, you can use a brush instead of a garden sprayer. After scrubbing the fence, rinse it.
5. Why do I need a wood fence cleaner?
With time, your wood fence starts losing its aesthetics thanks to the algae and mold growth and the only way to avoid it is by using a good quality wood fence cleaner.
6. What is the best way to clean a wood fence?
The combination of a gas pressure washer and a high-quality wood fence cleaner is the most efficient way to clean a wood fence. It makes sure that each corner of your wood fence is clean while also requiring minimal effort.
The best wood fence cleaner would be the one that will be affordable, easy to use, and efficient with the particular type of stain. So, if any of our reviewed products sounds like it, you can make the buying decision now.
On an ending note, we personally recommend you to buy:
Home Armor’s E-Z House Wash is a top quality cleaner that is easy to use and also efficiently restores the natural look of wood. It is also effective for a variety of issues such as algae, mold, mildew, dirt, etc.
Last update on 2021-01-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. BambooBottleCo is user-supported. We might receive a commission on any purchase you make through clicking links on this story.