Table of Contents
It can be argued that any bottle can be reusable. While that may be true, common plastic bottles require some semblance of chemicals to produce, and some of these chemicals are harmful.
One of these chemicals is bisphenol A (or BPA). BPA in bottles is known to produce a long term negative effect on anybody who drinks from it. While these effects are not experienced right away, they build up over time to take away some of the chemicals that most of us need to maintain good health.
BPA is one thing that makes plastic bottles last as long as they do, and are a good indicator of what to look for when choosing a reusable water bottle. Here are some other things to look for.
Editor’s Picks: Top 3 Best Reusable Water Bottles In 2020
Things To Consider When Buying A Reusable Water Bottle
Aside from BPAs which even some of the best reusable water bottles have, there are a few other things that you should take a look at when buying one of these bottles.
Size is one obvious thing that should be considered. If you are using one of these bottles for the home or bringing it the place where you exercise or running, you should pay attention to how much liquid the bottle can store. Most of these bottles are made of reinforced plastic or reinforced metal, so this is important.
That brings us to our next thing to consider, what the bottle is made of. There are three materials that are BPA free: Reinforced plastic, steel, and glass. Glass can obviously break, and reinforced plastic and steel have their own properties as well that can affect what you get out of your bottle.
How the bottle can be carried is another thing to consider. Does the bottle have a handle? Does it have a strap? Can it be held in a way where it doesn’t fall out of your hand? While this issue is negligible, it is still something to be considered. This is especially true if you plan to use the bottle outside or during exercise sessions.
You should take not of the insulation levels as well. If a bottle is not insulated, it can affect the temperature of the liquid inside. If you want your water to stay cold, for example, you will want a bottle that is insulated in such a way where it retains that kind of temperature.
The last thing to consider is what you will be using the bottle for, in particular, what kinds of liquids you will be putting in the bottle. Some of these bottles are only suitable for water, while some of them are able to contain any kind of liquid and not just water.
Top 10 Best Reusable Water Bottles Reviews
Here, we have reviewed all of our picks in detail in the following context:
1. Hydro Flask 32 oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Leak Proof Sports Water Bottle
Anybody who needs a reusable water bottle for the outdoors or when exercising will get a lot out of Hydro Flask’s bottle. The fact that it is 32 ounces speaks to this. It is also very easy to carry, having a handle on the top of it. This handle is also removable, which is a good thing if you find it getting in your way.
The coat on the outside of Hydro Flask’s water bottle is made of a powder like material. This makes it easy to clean off if it gets wet and reduces condensation as much as possible, which will prevent the bottle from falling out of your hands much more than standard bottles. This also makes it ideal for the outdoors or during workouts.
Although the wide mouth design seems like a good idea, this means that Hydro Flask’s bottle has no spout, meaning it is more likely for liquids to dribble out of it while drinking from it. This can be a nuisance when taking the bottle on hikes or on other intense outdoors activities.
- Design in mind: with it's easy-access wide mouth, The sleek design holds the same volume of liquid as other leading water bottle brands. Also, safety is top-of-mind, as the bottles are made out of non-toxic BPA-free plastics & 18/8 food-grade steel.
- Slip-free grip: Unlike other leading water bottles, Hydro Flask has a powder coat, which gives you a solid grip. The powder coat Works with the premium Tempshield insulation, which prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the bottle.
Hydro Flask’s bottle does a good job of insulating whatever is inside of it, but it seems to do a better job at maintaining cold liquids than hot liquids. It can keep cold drinks cold for up to 24 hours, which is standard, but can only keep hot drinks hot for 6 to 12 hours, which can be troublesome if you are intending on keeping something hot inside of the bottle for the whole day.
2. MIRA 17 Oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
While some reusable water bottles can appear too plain or difficult to keep in a cup holder in their design, Mira made sure to avoid this problem when creating their bottle. Their bottle is shaped similar to a coca cola bottle and easily fits in any cup holder. This makes Mira’s bottle very easy to carry anywhere.
Being insulated by a stronger vacuum than most other stainless steel bottles, Mira’s bottle can keep hot drinks hot for right around 12 hours. There is no guesswork with this number too – it is very possible to leave hot drinks in this bottle for hours and have it remain hot. It’s the exact same with cold drinks as well.
Anyone who wants to hold a lot of liquid in their reusable bottle will need to look elsewhere, however; Mira’s bottle can only hold up to 17 ounces. This is still a decent amount, but it is not what optimal if you want a bottle for outdoor hikes or when exercising.
- Innovative Vacuum Insulation: Our highly rated insulated water bottles keep drinks ice cold for 24 hours or piping hot for 12 hours. With our innovative MiraGuard Technology, your thermos water bottle maintains its temperature for hours and provides a sweat-free exterior.
- Built to Last: This stainless steel water bottle is tough enough for any adventure! Whether you’re hiking on a trail, practicing your yoga at the gym or catching swell waves, your hydro canteen is the best sports water bottle. Constructed from 18/8 food-grade stainless steel, your metal water bottle will always ensure a pure, clean taste that won’t retain or transfer flavors.
Also, because it is shaped like a coca-cola bottle, the lip of Mira’s bottle is not as big as it could or even should be. This can be troublesome. For example, if you are intending to put hot coffee or tea inside of this bottle, prepare to take your time; you will not have a lot of room to work with.
3. Welly Traveler | Vacuum Insulated & Infusing Stainless Steel Bamboo Water Bottle
Having a complete cylinder shape, Welly’s bottle combines features of the common large wide mouth bottle with the smaller type of bottle that can fit into a cup holder when on the go.
Attempting to combine the best of both worlds, Welly’s bottle does have a wide mouth, similar to it’s much larger counterparts. This is a very good thing if you want to use this bottle for hot beverages, as it will be much easier to fill the bottle. This is easier said than done when it comes to other bottles of this size.
One stand out feature of Welly’s bottle is the infuser that it comes with. This makes it possible to brew beverages on the go. The infuser is just one more thing that makes Welly’s bottle optimal for anybody who wants to use it for hot beverages.
Another thing that makes it optimal is the fact that it is crafted from bamboo along with its steel designs. While most double wall insulated bottles promise to keep hot beverages hot, Welly’s bottle nearly guarantees this as bamboo is a heat conductor of sorts.
- Double-walled vacuum insulation keeps drinks cold for up 24 hours or hot for up to 6 hours.
- Made with premium-grade, 18/8 stainless steel, natural bamboo, silicone and BPA-free plastic.
The only thing that holds Welly’s bottle back from perfection is the fact that it is only 18 ounces. If it were a little larger, it would indeed be perfect for almost any situation.
4. Nomader BPA Free Collapsible Sports Water Bottle
Let’s begin by stating the one thing that sets Nomader’s bottle apart from all others – the fact that it is collapsable. This is extremely rare and makes Nomader’s bottle quite possibly the easiest to carry among all bottles. It is possible to take this bottle literally anywhere.
If you do not want to fold it up and just carry it around like a normal water bottle, that is also fine; Nomader has a strap on the side as well. Nomader was thinking about nothing but portability when coming up with this bottle.
However, portability is pretty much the only thing Nomader’s bottle is good for. While it is made of BPA free plastic, the fact remains that it is still made of plastic. Do not expect it to maintain any temperatures as there is no insulation.
- PORTABLE - sturdy and comfortable to drink from; rolls up for compact travel; loops around your wrist for easy carry; attaches to your bag for quick access
- DURABLE - tough enough to survive drops with its flexible, shatter-proof silicone body, ensuring you stay hydrated NOMADer the journey or activity
Liquids also break plastic down more than other materials, meaning Nomader’s bottle will not last as long as bottles made of steel or glass. The collapsable function of Nomader’s bottle is very ambitious, but unfortunately, it seems to be at the expense of many other things that make reusable water bottles great.
5. Lifefactory 16-Ounce BPA-Free Glass Water Bottle with Flip Cap and Silicone Sleeve
Nothing says “100% BPA and chemical free” more than glass. While it is true that stainless steel bottles also do not have BPAs, some of them are made from other chemicals. This is not an issue with Lifefactory’s bottle, which is made from glass.
Glass can be broken when dropped, and Lifefactory knows this. That is why they wrapped the bottle in a silicone sleeve. It will protect the bottle when dropped, which is useful. It also does not need to be removed when washing which is convenient.
Lifefactory’s bottle has a wide mouth if you remove the cap. Or you can leave the cap on and utilize the spout. Surprisingly, a lot of reusable bottles do not have this function. It’s very nice that Lifefactory’s bottle does.
There are two caveats to glass. First, it can be stained if ignored for too long and must be cleaned regularly. This can be bothersome. Fortunately, it is dishwasher safe so that makes things a little convenient.
- Our glass bottles offer a pure taste with no leaching from plastics or metals; with wide-mouth access makes it easy to add ice cubes, citrus slices or tea bags
- Protective silicone sleeve provides durability and a non-slip gripping surface
Another is that glass is breakable. And despite silicone being wrapped around Lifefactory’s bottle, there is still a risk of it being broken when dropped. Unlike the stainless steel bottles which can just bounce around with no real penalty, Lifefactory’s bottle needs to be handled with care.
6. Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Double Wall Insulated Water Bottle with Loop Cap
A lot of stainless steel bottles are BPA free, but they are only BPA free. Most of them do not take into account lead, phthalates, and other harmful substances. Klean Kanteen’s bottle is made from materials along with the stainless steel that are free of nearly all harmful substances that can invade most bottles.
Another thing that Klean Kanteen’s bottle offers is because the materials in its steel interior blocks most harmful substances, it also doesn’t retain flavors either. This means that anything inside the bottle won’t have the slight metal taste that some bottles have.
The loop cap is a nice touch, giving it nice portability. The cap makes it totally possible to tie something around it and carry it around much easier than most bottles.
- Made with double-walled construction and high quality 18/8, food-grade stainless steel, the vacuum between the bottle walls offers superior insulating properties
- Lightweight and perfectly sized to fit in most cup holders and the leakproof Loop Cap clips onto just about anything
Aside from all this, nothing else really stands out when it comes to Klean Kanteen’s bottle. The exterior is not slip resistant, meaning it will encounter condensation on the outside. It is also not dishwasher safe, which means it must be hand washed if it does need to be washed.
7. Under Armour Dominate 24 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Bottle with Flip Top Lid
Similar to it’s apparel, Under Armour’s bottles also specialize in athletics. Having a capacity of 24 ounces and featuring a nice silicon cover right in the middle of the bottle, Under Armour’s bottle is practically designed for being outdoors or exercising.
The stainless steel design is also very durable and will not be affected in any way when dropped. It has standard insulation, but where Under Armour’s bottle really shines is its lid. The lid opens with the push of a button or the entire cap can be twisted off. It also contains a carrying loop for anybody who wants to attach it to anything.
- THERMOS vacuum insulation for maximum temperature retention; keeps cold for 20 hours
- One-handed, push-button lid operation with hygienic cover and locking ring; flip up, clip on carry loop
While most other stainless steel bottles can keep liquids cold up to 24 hours, Under Armour’s bottle can only keep liquids cold for up to 20 hours. This is negligible to some, but seeing as it is not as good at insulation as other bottles, it needs to be mentioned. Under Armour’s bottle will also not insulate hot temperatures at all. Do not expect any hot beverages to stay hot inside of this bottle.
8. CamelBak Chute Mag Vacuum Insulated 32oz Jet
Bottles with a lot of capacity are often too simple in their design, usually consisting of nothing more than a bottle with a large cap which spills all over the place when you drink from it. If this is not the case, the bottle itself is usually very wide and difficult to carry around.
CamelBak included all kinds of features in their reusable water bottle that increase its functionality well beyond its counterparts. First, it has a magnetic handle, which keeps the cap stowed at all times. The magnet will lock the cap in place, this way you will not need to worry about the cap getting loose. The spout is angled, which will prevent most spills.
The cap itself sets itself apart from a lot of other reusable bottles. It does not come off completely, only coming off halfway. This will let you put whatever liquids you want inside of it without worrying about the cap falling off.
- New Magnetic handle keeps cap stowed while drinking
- Vacuum insulation keeps beverages cold for 24 hours and hot for 6 hours
Bottles with a lot of capacity tend to be too big to fit in cup holders and in other small places where you would prefer to carry a bottle. And this is also unfortunately true with CamelBak’s bottle. It sticks out like a sore thumb and is more suitable for outdoor activities than anything else.
9. Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Single Wall Water Bottle with Leak Proof Loop Cap
If you drop a steel bottle, it will not break, but it is very likely to scratch or chip. This does a little more than just scratch or chip the bottle; it can affect the material itself and can possibly cause a leak. Klean Kanteen’s bottle is made with a special powder coat that makes it much more durable, this way such a thing can be prevented.
Cleaning the bottle is also very easy, as the interior is electropolished. This allows whatever is inside the bottle to be cleaned much easier than normal reusable bottles. The electropolish on the interior also makes Klean Kanteen’s bottle dishwasher safe, which is in high demand for most stainless steel bottles.
While Klean Kanteen’s bottle’s interior design does a good job in retaining or imparting flavors, it is not as good at maintaining temperatures. Most steel bottles have two walls in their interior, which maintains temperatures very well.
- ✔ DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - Lightweight SINGLE WALL water bottle design is perfect for everyday hydration when at work, on the trail or on vacation. Water bottle is lighter due to being NON-INSULATED.
- ✔ SUSTAINABLE - Our brushed stainless steel water bottles have no coatings inside or out and won't leach smells or flavors. We are a CERTIFIED 1% FOR THE PLANET member and proud B-CORP FAMILY OWNED company.
Klean Kanteen’s bottle only has one wall on the interior. This makes it easy to clean, but it is less than optimal in keeping cold beverages cold and hot beverages hot.
10. 50 Strong BPA Free Reusable Water Bottle with Time Marker
Anybody who has trouble knowing when to maintain their hydration levels will get a lot out of 50 Strong’s reusable bottle. The exterior of the bottle has time markers that will “remind” you when to drink water. It also has a reminder to refill whenever you reach the bottom. This is a great way to track how much water you are drinking per day.
50 Strong’s bottle has a wide mouth opening as well as a chug cap which contains something unique: An “ice guard” that will prevent any ice you put in it from exiting the bottle if you decide to put ice in with your beverage.
Most BPA free bottles are made of either glass or stainless steel. 50 Strong’s bottle is made of tritan, a form of reinforced plastic. This means that it is only BPA free. 50 Strong’s bottle is likely to still spread any other chemicals as any other plastic bottles would.
- Crush Your Hydration Goals: Staying hydrated is critical to a healthy lifestyle and, sometimes you need a reminder and some motivation to remind you to hydrate and keep you on track to hit your goal. Whether you are focused on weight loss, fueling a workout, a health challenge, or taking extra care of yourself during pregnancy, this hourly intake tracking bottle is perfect for you!
- Hourly Markings: This new inspirational drinking bottle features large markers on the back of the clear bottle to show you how much water you have consumed and gives you a goal for every hour to keep going! When you reach the bottom, there is a reminder to refill. The measured lines clearly show times and your overall progress. The hydration tracker comes with a gift box and is perfect for home, work, or the gym and can be used by women or men.
Because of this, any other feature that a common stainless steel bottle would have is not going to be found in 50 Strong’s bottle. Flavors will be affected, you will need to clean it more than you probably want to, and it will not retain any temperatures of anything you put in it. Also, because it is made of reinforced plastic, putting anything hot in 50 Strong’s bottle is not recommended.
How To Choose The Best Reusable Water Bottle For You?
Despite being such a simple product, buying a reusable water bottle can be a tough ask. Here are a few things that you must look into before making your choice.
Your reusable water bottle should be durable and usable by everyone. For example, if you choose to buy a glass water bottle, you can’t give them to kids as they might injure themselves.
If you are reusing a low-quality/disposable water bottle, it may be environment friendly for a short period. However, in the long run, there is a good chance that it will catch bacteria. Hence, go for a product that is proven to be authentic.
Not everyone has the same hydration requirements. For kids, a lightweight and smaller sized is preferable while grown ups should consider buying a sturdier and larger reusable water bottles. Adding to that, one should also look into how often they are near a water source.
If you find yourself being able to refill the water bottle quite often, even a smaller sized bottle will suit you. If not, you should consider buying a large steel based water bottle as it will keep your water cold and will also last longer relatively.
Unlike other water bottles, reusable water bottles must be washed on the daily. Therefore, you must make sure that your bottle has a nozzle that is on the larger end of the spectrum. Not only does this make it comfortable for you to be able to drink the water but also makes it dishwasher safe/easy to clean.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How long should I keep a reusable water bottle?
Despite being reusable, these water bottles don’t last indefinitely. How long exactly depends on what the material is being used to make them. Ideally, plastic bottles should be thrown after 3-6 months of using while steel bottles can last even up to 2 years.
Q. Is it OK to reuse plastic water bottles?
Although plastic based items are majorly responsible for climate change, reusable plastic bottles can still help save the environment in the long run. That is because you are not disposing them every time you use them.
Q. What is the healthiest water bottle to use?
Stainless steel water bottles are rated quite highly as they help retain the micro-nutrients present in water. They are also the least likely to catch bacteria.
Q. Can I recycle reusable water bottles?
That completely depends on the material they were made from. If it is plastic, recycling your water bottle might be close to impossible.
It is easier than ever to find a bottle that does not contain BPA or any other harmful chemical. However, there are many different features of these types of bottles besides just keeping harmful chemicals out.
The best thing about the bottles listed above is that they all last a very long time, provided you clean them regularly. When selecting your bottle, make sure you are choosing a bottle with qualities that you believe will last a long time.
Among these qualities are the material of the bottle, whether it is dishwasher safe or not, ability to maintain temperatures, ability to retain and keep out certain flavors or odors, and how easy it is to carry. Keep all of these things in mind when selecting your next reusable water bottle
Last update on 2020-11-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API